Spring is the best time to go and enjoy the outdoors. Families and groups would often go on picnics on state parks. Aside from portable tables, chairs, and picnic blankets, a picnic basket filled with food is part of what makes your trip amazing. Food not only fills our tummy but it also fuels our soul, especially if it is delicious. Many meals and snacks come to mind when going on a picnic. But one that stands out is spring rolls. Who wouldn’t love to have them on picnics?
There are a variety of spring rolls recipes out there that you can count. But what you need to know is what ingredients to put and how to properly cook them is the best recipe in making the tastiest spring rolls that your family or friends can enjoy on your picnics. The crispy and crunchy spring rolls are perfect for the outdoors since they’re finger food, not messy, and are convenient to bring and eat.
Below is the best spring roll recipe that your family and friends will love on your picnic day.
Asian Crunchy Spring Rolls
For those who want to taste an almost authentic fried food that will satiate you, then Asian crunchy spring roll is what you want to prepare, pack, and serve. It’s a combination of different flavors, packed with both meat and veggies.
Here are the Ingredients:
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Thinly sliced shallots (onion)
- Finely chopped ginger
- Finely chopped garlic cloves
- Finely chopped chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons sweet soy sauce
- Finely shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced carrots
- Coarsely chopped bean sprouts
- Thinly sliced spring onions
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Finely chopped peeled uncooked prawns or shrimps
- Halved spring roll wrappers
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- Chili sauce or sweet soy sauce to serve
Here is the Procedure:
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. Stir-fry shallot, ginger and garlic for 2 to 4 minutes until golden. Add chicken and sweet soy sauce then stir-fry for 3 minutes until chicken is cooked. Season to taste, then transfer to the bowl.
- Stir-fry cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots and spring onions in 1 to 2 tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Season to taste, and add chili then stir-fry vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes until they begin to wane. Add 1 tablespoon of water to prevent them from burning. Add prawns or shrimps and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until they turn pink. Put the chicken mixture to pan and heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste, and transfer mixture to a strainer to drain and cool.
- Put a spring roll wrapper on the surface. Place 2 teaspoons of chicken mixture on the corner and roll completely to enclose, then fold in the sides. Wipe the edge of wrapper with egg white then seal. Repeat the procedure with the remaining mixtures and wrappers.
- Heat oil to 170 degrees in a deep pan. Deep-fry the spring rolls in batches, turning on sides for 2 to 4 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain on a paper napkin or absorbent paper and let them cool down.
- Once they’re cooled or warm to touch, place them in containers or zip locks. Put some chili sauce and sweet soy sauce for dipping on a small container. Put them all in your picnic basket and you’re good to go. Have a fun picnic and serve them.