Arroz a la Cubana is a popular Spanish dish that now has several versions of all over the world. Basically, it is made of white rice, fried egg, and ground beef. This is the classic combination. Fried bananas can be added to this trio to make it more festive. It can be eaten as heavy breakfast, or you can prepare it for dinner. Here is our own version of this recipe.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 kilo ground pork
- 1/2 kilo ground beef
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked rice
- 6 eggs
- 6-8 saba bananas, sliced lengthwise
1. Cook eggs sunnyside-up style. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
2. Fry bananas until golden brown. Set aside.
3. In a pan heat oil, saute garlic until golden. Add onion until caramelized.
4. Stir in tomatoes and ground meat.
5. Simmer and continue cooking until liquid reduces.
6. Stir in raisins, green peas, and bell pepper.
7. Cook and cover for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Assemble cooked rice on a platter or plate. Top with meat mixture. Garnish with bananas. Serve with egg on top.