A classic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich consists of thinly sliced beef and lots of gooey melted cheese. It's everyone's favorite because it can definitely satisfy the heartiest of appetites.
It's meaty and delightfully messy. The secret, however, to a great Philly cheese steak is its ingredients. The beef needs to be cut into paper-thin slices.
Check out the recipe below, and you will want to eat this sandwich again and again.
Yield: 4 servings
For the Onions:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced thinly
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
For the Meat:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef tenderloin or sirloin, sliced paper thin.
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 Italian sandwich hogie rolls, split lengthwise
To cook the onion and bell pepper
- Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a medium saucepan. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until soft and caramel in color. Transfer onions to bowl.
- In the same pan, add pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes until soft and tender, flipping often. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the same bowl with onions.
To cook the meat:
- Heat heavy griddle over medium to high heat. Wipe griddle with oil. Sear and cook beef steaks until brown. Make sure to cook them in single layers. Cut into the meat with the spatula while they cook. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Once all the steaks are cooked, line your split rolls with 2 slices of provolone cheese. Pile mixed meat and onions on top of the cheese. The heat from the onions and meat will melt the cheese.
We usually enjoy this sandwich with a glass of cold kiwi strawberry iced tea or a watermelon banana smoothie. Our smooth edge stainless steel glass is perfect for serving iced tea, and our extra-large ice cubes keep our iced tea really cold! Grab these products here.